Jakarta – Barcelona finally fired Ernesto Valverde from the position of coach. The Spanish League club appointed Quique Setien as his successor.
Valverde was dismissed by club president Josep Maria Bartomeu after a meeting in Ciudad Deportiva on Monday morning local time.
The dismissal was done not separated from the poor performance of Barca in the semifinals of the Spanish Super Cup. They were then subdued by Atletico Madrid.
Previously, Barcelona had offered Xavi Hernandez to fill the position. However, the Barca legend refused.
Who is Quique Setien who is now Barca's choice?
– He is from Spain. Born in Santander on September 27, 1958. Now he is 61 years old.
– He is a former player. When he was active he played as a central midfielder. He has, among other things, strengthened Racing Santander, Atletico Madrid and Levante. In the Spanish national team, he has played three times.
– His coaching career began at Racing Santander in 2001. He made the club a promotion to La Liga. He then handled Poly Ejido, Equatorial Guniea, and Logrones. His name began to climb after handling Las Palmas in 2015. Two years later he was trusted to handle Real Betis. Had brought the club qualified for the Europa League and to the Copa del Rey semifinals, finally finally kicked out at the end of last season because of poor relations with club officials.
– His name has been linked as a potential Barcelona coach since he still wins Betis. His playing philosophy is considered fitting with the Catalan club: attacking by relying on possession.
– Previously, Marca called Setien as the right solution to fill a temporary position before Barcelona appoint Xavi Hernandez next season. However, Barcelona turned out to bind Quique Setien to a long-term contract, until June 2022..